Provided by: live better america
69% less fat • 93% less sat fat • 36% fewer calories than the original recipe see the comparison You won't feel "stuffed" this Thanksgiving! A change from butter to a smaller amount of oil cuts 2/3 of the total fat, and using whole-grain bread adds 3g of fiber per serving. Start a new tradition.
- 15 slices white whole grain bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves, crushed, or 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 2-quart casserole with cooking spray; set aside.
- On large cookie sheet, place bread slices. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, turning each slice once, until firm and very light golden brown. Remove bread slices from cookie sheet; cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion and carrot; cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in broth, sage, salt, thyme and pepper; heat to boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in bread cubes until well mixed. Spoon mixture into casserole.
- Cover; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until hot and top is light golden brown.