Healthified Better-Than-Grandma's Chicken and Noodles
Healthified Better-Than-Grandmas Chicken and Noodles
Provided by: live better america
71% less total fat • 36% less sodium than the original recipe. Whip up a dose of nostalgia the healthy way with a few easy ingredient swaps.
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (12 oz) frozen egg noodles
- 1 package (9 oz) frozen baby sweet peas
- 4 or 5 fresh sage leaves (optional)
- 1 cup pearl onions* or frozen small whole onions
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 whole chicken legs (drumsticks and thighs) (about 3 pounds), skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, place carrots, parsnips, onions, and celery. Top with chicken; sprinkle with thyme, sage, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour chicken broth and sherry over chicken.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 hours. Stir in noodles. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Cover; cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours more or until noodles are tender.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, coarsely shred chicken and stir into mixture in slow cooker. Prepare peas according to package directions. Stir in cooked peas. If desired, garnish with fresh sage leaves.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: If using fresh onions, cook in enough boiling water to cover for 30 to 60 seconds; drain and rinse with cold water. Cut off root ends and slip off peels.